Full time, 35 hours a week
Preston and surrounding areas
Closing date: 3rd November 2021 at 11.30pm
We're looking for a polite and friendly individual with a full driving licence and the ability to undertake heavy lifting, to help us maximise sales and profit by collecting and distributing donations at our Preston furniture shop and the surrounding areas.
Shelter Trading Limited is best known for its national network of charity shops and thriving Christmas card business. We've recently opened up a number of furniture stores, which, just like our existing charity shops, sell a range of new and donated items that generate significant income to help finance our cause.
A home is a fundamental human need, as essential as education or healthcare. Yet millions of people across Britain struggle on a daily basis with homelessness, bad housing conditions, soaring rents, discrimination and the threat of eviction. So, we are striving for change, with individuals, in communities, across society, and leading the way to a safe home. We need ambitious, best-in-class individuals who are passionate about our cause to join us at this exciting time. This is your chance to play a part in the fundamental change we are striving to achieve.
At Shelter we are united by our purpose to defend the right to a safe home. Our enemy is the social injustice at the core of the escalating housing emergency. We believe that to win that fight, we must be representative of the people we are here to help and those who support our movement for change. In all our people decisions, we take pride in being inclusive, fair, equitable and transparent.
We have committed to combat racism both within and outside Shelter and welcome you on our journey to becoming a truly anti-racist organisation.
Your key responsibilities:
- Collect and deliver donated items, including large furniture and electrical items and assist with the redistribution of stock, fixtures and fittings between branches
- Undertake house clearances and transfer appropriate donated goods to the shop
- Carry out daily vehicle checks and maintain accurate mileage records
- Always maintain a high standard of customer service and strict control of the security of goods collected, transported and delivered.
And what you'll need:
- The positive and helpful attitude it takes to be an ambassador for Shelter
- Excellent customer service skills and respect for people's property and donations
- A full driving licence and a willingness to travel extensively within, and sometimes outside, the local area
- The ability to adhere to health & safety policies both in the store and at external locations.
- Safeguarding is everyone's business. Shelter is committed to protecting the health, wellbeing and human rights of those we support, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. All our staff will be expected to observe professional standards of behaviour and conduct their work in line with our Safeguarding Policies.
We offer a wide range of benefits, including 30 days annual leave, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, childcare vouchers and interest free travel loans. Our employees also have access to a tenancy deposit loan, cycle to work scheme and an employee assistance programme. Full training and support is also available to candidates that don't have retail experience but do possess all the other skills required to do the job.
For further information about the role and the benefits of working for Shelter please visit our website.
Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services. And we campaign to make sure that, one day, no one will have to turn to us for help. We're here so no one has to fight bad housing or homelessness on their own.
Safeguarding is everyone’s business. Shelter is committed to protecting the health, wellbeing and human rights of those we support, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. All our staff will be expected to observe professional standards of behaviour and conduct their work in line with our Safeguarding Policies.
Shelter does not accept unsolicited CVs from external recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.