Finance Manager x 2
Salary Grade: SMRA £52,722 - £64,422 pa
Newham is a vibrant inner-city borough with excellent transport links to the rest of London and South-East England, including Kent, Essex, Surrey and Middlesex. Proud to be home to one of the youngest and most diverse cultures across the country; 72% of the borough's population are from BAME communities, contributing to 220 languages being spoken in the area.
The Council's Finance Department is changing and we are now recruiting to a number of roles for professional accountants experienced at this level and looking for a fresh challenge or candidates with relevant experience looking to progress to the next stage of their career.
The Finance Manager will play a key role helping shape and embed our new finance service as we embed a new ERM system (Oracle Fusion), and use this to improve financial management & control, and accountability across the organisation, and enable effective proactive financial planning. You'll oversee the strategic, financial reporting or partnering activities of one of our front-line services or support the overall financial reporting and planning corporately. We have two roles available at the Finance Manager level, within the ‘Children and Young People’ and ‘Brighter Futures’ directorates
We are looking for innovative individuals who can lead by example and help build a sustainable, highly effective, service that delivers exceptional support for one of our front-line departments or the council as a whole.
As a Finance Manager supporting the directorates you will be the key contact for senior stakeholders including Corporate Directors and Heads of Services. You will provide professional counsel to colleagues and partners. As a Finance Manager for Financial Strategy you will work with finance/non-finance stakeholders across the council to develop corporate reporting capability and help develop the Medium Term Financial Strategy. In turn, you'll inspire your staff to deliver value for money, develop opportunities and embed commercial practices.
With a new leadership team and a collective ethos of improvement, we want to forge a new path at Newham. Ultimately, this is about making everyday life better for over 350,000 people across the borough, as well as millions of workers and visitors. You’ll introduce more robust planning, find new revenue streams – and help us invest further in our resident-centric services.
We are looking to recruit 2 Finance managers in the below areas:
Finance Manager, Brighter Futures-
- Provide specialist advice, accounting, financial challenge and guidance for the Brighter Futures Directorate
- Lead a small team, providing a full range of finance services to the Brighter Futures Department and senior leadership, including Cabinet Members
- Deliver strategic finance advice including development of modelling and forecasting tools
- Develop robust long term financial forecasts and sustainable budget plans
- Support and challenge corporate directors to ensure financially sustainable delivery in line with MTFS requirements
- Develop sound financial modelling to inform development of business cases including option appraisal, funding bids, procurement financial evaluations models, equitable corporate recharges, etc.
Finance Manager, Education-
- Provide specialist advice, accounting, financial challenge and guidance for the DSG and General Fund Education Budgets
- Lead a small team, providing a full range of finance services to the department and senior leadership, including Cabinet Members.
- Drive effective budget planning, monitoring, and month end-reporting in the service
- Deliver strategic finance advice to the department
- Provide financial advice and support to key stakeholders, including to Schools and Schools Forum
- Support and challenge corporate directors to ensure financially sustainable delivery in line with MTFS requirements and the DSG deficit recovery plan
- Ensure application of financial procedures, decision governance and other internal controls.
Successful applicants will be fully CCAB qualified with significant post qualification experience. You will have experience managing change and be comfortable working in a local government setting.
You will confidently work with senior figures as well as having the people management skills to manage a large team. You will be able to nurture and develop talent within the finance team.
The London Borough of Newham is loca