Regional Liaison Officer (Eastern)
Job Title: Regional Liaison Officer (Eastern)
Directorate: Electoral Administration and Guidance
Full time, Fixed Term contract until end May 2024
Salary: £32,363 per annum
Location: Home based
Are you interested in using your knowledge of electoral practice and legislation to help ensure elections and electoral registration are well-run?
Who we are
The Electoral Commission is the independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK. It works to promote public confidence in the democratic process and to ensure its integrity.
The Electoral Administration and Guidance Directorate is responsible for the provision of guidance and support to Electoral administrators to enable them to provide excellent electoral and registration services.
We are looking for someone to be part of our home-based regional staff to provide support to the Regional Manager (Eastern) in ensuring the effective delivery of Commission priorities across the Eastern region and England, with a particular focus on working in partnership with other teams across the Commission to improve the quality of electoral services.
- To provide high quality and timely advice and guidance on electoral policy, practice and performance matters to electoral practitioners and to other stakeholders including members of the public.
- To contribute to the implementation and development of the Commission’s performance standards regime across England and act as data collector, verifier or performance improvement supporter to local authorities as required.
- To support Returning Officers and Electoral Registration Officers in preparing for and delivering electoral events and electoral registration.
- To support the Regional Manager and the wider English Regional team in managing stakeholder relationships with electoral practitioners in the region, as part of the Regional Teams stakeholder strategy. This includes representing the Commission at Regional Branch meetings and county group meetings of the AEA and other relevant bodies
- To ensure that any issues that emerge regionally in relation to electoral policy, practice and performance are fed into the development of Commission policy as appropriate.
- To understand and actively promote the objectives and values of the Electoral Commission.
- Experience of working in an electoral environment ideally including some experience in the public sector.
- Extensive and current knowledge of developments in electoral practice and the workings and needs of local authority services.
- Substantial working knowledge of electoral legislation and practice at all levels of government.
- Experience in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, and strong understanding of the latest approaches to stakeholder management.
- Good IT skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet).
- Good project management experience.
* The successful applicant must have a suitable, quiet space in their home from which to work.
* This post will require occasional travel across the Eastern region and other parts of the UK, including to rural communities where public transport provision may be inadequate. The successful application should have a valid driving licence enabling the holder to drive on UK roads and have access to transport, or the ability to make use of hire vehicles, which enables them to meet the geographical requirements of the role.
Working at the Electoral Commission
The Electoral Commission offers excellent terms and conditions, including flexible working hours and the opportunity to join the Civil Service pension arrangements (dependent on scheme rules) which include a valuable range of benefits.
If you are interested in this role please visit our website http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/jobs to download the job description and person specification, before applying online.
The closing date for applications is 21 February 2022.
Interviews will be held between Monday 28 February 2022 and Tuesday 1 March 2022
We would like to continuously increase the diversity of our employees. Applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates are particularly welcomed.
We will be using video conferencing tools for the interviews. We will confirm details with shortlisted candidates.