Seasonal Gardeners/Grounds staff
Competitive salary of £9.90 p/h
Enjoy working outdoors and learning new skills?
We have opportunities for full time seasonal staff working within our parks, open spaces and highways.
This is an opportunity to help maintain floral displays, carry out grass cutting and assisting with the preparation of sports surfaces.
You will be working ‘hands-on’ with our team of gardeners during the busy Spring and Summer months.
You will need a degree of physical fitness and an aptitude for working outdoors, along with an interest in gardening and a desire to learn on the job. Some knowledge and experience of horticulture, manual handling and working on highways would also be useful but not essential in this role.
Working 41 hours a week Monday to Sunday, this role involves shift work and may include early starts. The contract is temporary for 3 months initially with the possibility to extend further. Overtime shifts may also be available. A licence valid to drive in the UK in order to drive Council vehicles around sites would be an advantage.
In return we offer:
- a competitive salary
- generous annual leave package
- full training and PPE
- good variety of work
To be shortlisted for interview your application should clearly evidence your ability to work weekends on occasion if required. Physically capable of undertaking the duties of the job, including lifting machinery. Ensure you complete the application form in full and include all employment history for the last 3 years.
Parks and Leisure
Seasonal Gardener, Parks
£9.90 per hour
Amenity Horticulture Manager and/or under the direction of such persons as designated by management.
Date last reviewed:
To undertake grounds-maintenance work in public open spaces across Guildford Borough under the supervision of permanent grounds staff.
To undertake general grounds maintenance, including sweeping, hoeing, raking, grass cutting, edging, hedge trimming, leaf and litter clearance.
- To carry out soil cultivation and preparation for planting including digging, forking and levelling.
- To carry out construction work when required.
- To undertake litter picking, sweeping and bin emptying as well as cleaning the mess room.
- To prepare and maintain grass sports turf and to erect and dismantle sports and other equipment as required.
- To have an awareness of the conduct of the general public and facility users and to report any undesirable conduct to the appropriate person/authority.
- To report to the appropriate responsible person any defects in equipment, property and sports surfaces which may arise.
- To be responsible for Guildford Borough Council machinery as required. To operate (as required) cylinder and rotary mowing machines, to include ‘ride on’ and ‘pedestrian’ operated horticultural machinery and to use the usual range of tools and equipment, including powered hand tools, power driven mowers, strimmers and hedge trimmers.
- To check machinery, equipment and tools and carry out routine maintenance and minor repairs as and when necessary.
- To complete such documentation as may be necessary, including time sheets, work schedules, accidents reports and damage reports.
- Any other duties consistent with the requirements of the post, as may be requested by your manager.
- You will be required to work occasionally on a weekend rota taking time off in lieu during the normal working week.
This job description reflects the core activities of the post. As the service and the post-holder develop, there will inevitably be some changes to the duties for which the post is responsible, and possibly to the emphasis of the post itself. We expect that the post-holder will recognise this and will adopt a flexible approach to work. This could include undertaking relevant training where necessary. The line manager will consult the post-holder if significant changes to the job description become necessary. Any changes will be reflected in a revised job description.
This section describes the knowledge, experience and competence required by the post-holder that is necessary for an acceptable standard of performance in carrying out this role.
(A, I, T or P)*
No formal qualifications required
Knowledge and experience
Keen interest in and commitment to working outdoors in a grounds maintenance environment
Experience of working within the grounds maintenance industry with a knowledge of gardening and grounds-maintenance (including general maintenance, soil cultivation, grass and hedge cutting).
Experience of sports pitch preparation, marking and maintenance.
Experience of operating, maintaining and controlling mowing machinery and a range of powered tools.
Awareness of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
Knowledge of first aid.
Good verbal communication skills with an understanding of how to communicate with a wide variety of people including members of the public and colleagues.
Strong time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
Written communication skills with the ability to comply with written and verbal instructions.
Customer service skills
Special requirements (e.g. working hours, driving licence etc)
Physically capable of undertaking the duties as set out in the job description, which may include lifting heavy weights which may include pedestrian lawn mowers. There will be a 30 minute practical assessment which will include manual handling, machinery maintenance, hedge cutter and strimmer use.
Ability to be flexible about working hours, including working weekends on occasion if required
License valid to drive in the UK in order to drive Council vehicles around sites
Ability to tow a trailer.
This section details the level of competency required to carry out this role (please see below for an overview of the framework and refer to the full Organisational Culture Framework for clarification where needed).
Innovation and creative thinking
Problem solving and decision making
Focus on efficiency
Performance and learning
Commitment to the organisation
Please note that the criteria specified on this form will be used as guidance when short-listing all applications and again at interview. Please ensure you provide evidence within your application giving examples, where appropriate, as to how you meet the specified requirement for the job.
*Assessment criteria A = Application form; I = Interview; T = Skills based test; P = Presentation