Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity, and eliminating unlawful discrimination.
Hillingdon Council offers a wide range of benefits, including excellent training opportunities, generous holiday entitlement and a Local Government pension scheme.
This post attracts an additional non-contractual payment of £3,000 per annum. You will also participate in a shift pattern which attracts a 14% shift allowance. Details of the shift pattern can be found in the additional attachment.
About the role
The London Borough of Hillingdon is home to London Heathrow, the UK's busiest Airport for passenger and cargo movements.
Based at the Border Control Post at the Cargo Terminal, you will play an essential role in ensuring that all statutory controls of food and feed are carried out to protect the health of the UK.
We have recently carried out a whole service transformation in our Imported Food Service and seek an enthusiastic Imported Food specialist leader to join our team.We have one Principal Environmental Health Officer vacancy - the role-holder will oversee the day to day management and workload allocation of team members.
We are looking for an experienced Environmental Health Officer (EHO) with substantial imported food knowledge to lead a team of EHOs, Food Safety Officers and Technical Officers to ensure food and feed safety through the UK's busiest Airport. You will have the relevant professional and technical experience to advise senior leaders and Political Leaders on imported food matters.
You will manage the day to day functioning and operations of the imported food team and liaise with partner organisations, including central government agencies. You will ensure that all statutory controls and service delivery is compliant with legislative requirements and in line with Council objectives.
You will develop a culture of continuous improvement and top performance, ensuring that Council values are embedded in delivering a customer focused service. You will need to be motivated to deliver results and take ownership of personal and team development.
You must be willing to work shift arrangements to cover all hours of service delivery during evenings and weekends.
It is essential that you have the following qualifications:
* Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health and Certificate of Registration as an Environmental Health Practitioner (or historical equivalent) recognised by the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB)
Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) Diploma in Environmental Health
Other important attributes include:
* developing technological solutions
* passion for learning
* exceptional customer service
* teamwork and relationship building
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.