Centrally located in the Thames Gateway, Gravesham Borough Council provides a range of services to over 106,000 people and 4,000 businesses.
The Borough of Gravesham, situated in the northwest corner of Kent, covers 25,000 acres of the most varied countryside in southeast England.
Bordered by the River Thames to the north, it is at the heart of Thames Gateway and has a significant role to play in the regeneration of a major government growth area.
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to delivering to the community and working with us means you are part of delivering the level of growth and improvement our community needs and deserves.
To successfully complete a range of skilled horticultural and ground maintenance duties to ensure the council’s parks, open spaces and housing communal gardens are maintained to a high standard.
The post can operate across a range of sites throughout the borough and the work undertaken may vary depending on the seasons.
Undertake a range of specialist tasks including:
- Grass cutting using ride on cylinder or rotary mowers, hand mowers and strimmer’s
- Shrub pruning and hedge cutting using hedge cutters and hand tools
- Soil cultivation; digging, forking, mulching, raking, weeding, edging.
- Prepare, plant and maintain annual bedding beds.
- Shrub and tree planting
- Clearing leaves and litter, including the use of a leaf blower.
- Assisting with tree works using shredders, chippers and stump grinders as necessary
- Application of herbicides and pesticides and being competent in keeping accurate spraying records
- Basic maintenance of horticultural plant and machinery
- Emptying of litter and dog bins as required
- Litter picking of sites and wider areas as required
Watering of trees, shrubs and bedding displays using vehicle-mounted water bowser.
Ability to tow trailers of varying sizes in a safe manner to transport horticultural machinery, shrub pruning’s or tree cuttings as the job dictates. Drivers need to be able to carry our daily safety checks and be able to confidently manoeuvre and reverse trailers in areas with restricted access and space.
To execute workmanship to a high standard and ensure it is carried out in strict compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act, and any other relevant legislation covering safety in the workplace for self and others.
Plan and organise the work, materials and equipment according to priorities, the size and complexity of the job, the need to minimise travel and other non-productive time, and the need to keep scheduled appointments.
Provide supervision and guidance to work experience/ apprentices as and when required.
To keep supervisory staff aware of progress and problems in a timely manner.
To carry out gritting, salt spreading and snow clearing, as necessary, during bad weather.
- Experience working in similar physical roles.
- Ability to manage their own time and follow instructions.
- Good communication skills.
- Evidence of working within a team.
- Good customer service skills.
- Ability to estimate time and materials needed for assigned work projects.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision or as part of a team.
- A full and clean UK driving license (category B)
- Ability pull a trailer (Category B+E licence or higher).
- Licence to drive Agricultural tractors (Category F).
- NPTC level PA1 & PA6a pesticide certificate.
- NVQ level 2 in Horticulture or equivalent.
In return we offer you:
A generous holiday entitlement, plus paid bank holidays.
In-house and external training including non-qualification, Continued Personal Development (CPD), NVQ and other qualification training.
Employee Assistance Programme
The Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential support service, offering you unlimited access to advice and information as well as coaching and counselling where appropriate.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the service is there to help you manage all of life's events and support you through the challenges. Their expert advisers are there to help, whenever you need them. Support on the telephone, online and face to face.
A very secure pension scheme which both you and we pay into. More information can be found on the Local Government Pension Scheme website.
An on-site Occupational Health Advisor. We have an occupational health service provided by East Kent Hospitals University Foundation NHS Trust. The service is delivered by a team of health professionals who specialise in occupational medicine and deal with the relationship between your work and your health. Occupational Health also works with us to resolve any issues in the workplace and also to ensure that well-being at work is maintained.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call James Young on 01474 33 76 63
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Gravesham Borough Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.