Visiting Officer (Grade 6 £22,571 – 23,953) Revenues & Benefits Shared Service (Based at Lancaster)
Customer Services Directorate. Due to the needs of the Shared Service an opportunity has arisen to recruit on a permanent basis to a Visiting Officer based at Lancaster.
This key post will prioritise the requirement to inspect and identify empty and occupied council tax and business rate properties for revenue purposes. The post holder will be expected to undertake a number of benefit visits to resolve outstanding enquiries and offer advice and assistance to the most vulnerable clients.
- The inspection of new, altered and empty properties, obtaining information re: ownership and occupation for all council tax and business rate enquiries.
- Conduct inspections relating to reliefs for both council tax and business rates.
- Keep accurate records of inspections and liaise with the Valuation Office in maintaining the Council Tax Banding List and Business Rate Rating List.
- Provide information to the public in accordance with current legislation, with particular emphasis on customer care.
- Provide witness statements and give evidence when required in tribunal and court proceedings.
- Organise and undertake visits to customers in their own homes to verify benefit claims, claimant status and gather associated evidence.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated person with the ability to work alone and manage their own workload to meet deadlines. A working knowledge of revenues, together with good communication skills and a customer care attitude is essential, whilst knowledge of the demographic and geographical area, and an understanding of work in the benefits environment is considered highly desirable.
Candidates must have a full current UK driving licence. The post is accredited with casual user car allowance. A Job Outline and Employee Specification is attached.
Closing date: 9th October 2022