We are currently looking for an experienced facilitator with a counselling qualification (minimum Level 4 diploma) to facilitate our monthly Living with Secondary Breast Cancer (LWSBC) group in Bedfordshire (Luton). The group meets from 11:00am – 1:00pm with a slightly longer group every 3 months (11:00am – 1:30pm) when an expert speaker presents on a relevant topic.
Our LWSBC groups offer support and information to anyone living with a diagnosis of secondary (metastatic) breast cancer. The groups offer a safe space where people can:
- Come to talk freely and share experiences and gain mutual support with others who understand, away from friends and family.
- Learn more about secondary breast cancer, with a guest expert speaker every 3 months
They are not therapeutic support groups in the traditional sense but are delivered in accordance with Breast Cancer Now’s service model. This is used across the UK which has been developed and tested for over 10 years.
You’ll be responsible for facilitating the group discussions. Including, drawing upon your therapeutic skills to ensure that all attendees are given time to share, and support to talk about challenging topics such as end of life.
You’ll work independently and liaise with venue staff as required.
You’ll act as an ambassador for Breast Cancer Now, promoting our charitable aims and building professional relationships with healthcare professionals who attend.
You’ll need to have:
- A counselling qualification
- Experience of facilitating groups, preferably ongoing support groups for people affected by cancer or a life-limiting long-term condition, or other vulnerable/sensitive group.
- A warm and approachable manner.
- The ability to communicate sensitively with people facing difficult challenges.
- The ability to use your own initiative and deal with unforeseen challenges when working alone.
This is offered as a contract for services position and as such the appointed contractor would not be an employee of Breast Cancer Now but a self-employed individual. We require all self-employed individuals to:
- Adhere to and follow Breast Cancer Now applicable policies and procedures
- Undertake some mandatory training in core subjects such as data protection and cyber security.
- Have a satisfactory criminal record check
We advise you to have your own Public Liability insurance in place to fully cover the work you undertake on behalf of Breast Cancer Now.
Location: Bedfordshire (Luton) – held on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
Our services are usually held in hospitality or community venues in the town or city centre.
Pay: We offer flat fees for work undertaken delivering our services as listed below:
- £130 for facilitating a 2 hour ‘meet up’ group
- £150 for facilitating a quarterly 2.5-hour speaker group
- £15 admin fee per group
- Additional fees for attending training and meetings or facilitating a larger annual information event.
We do not provide expenses or any fee for travel time or costs. However, we do reimburse car parking costs if applicable, at the venue the group is held.
How to apply: Please submit your CV and supporting statement via the link provided.
Closing date: Monday 26 September 2022 at 11:59pm
Interview date: Wednesday 5 and Thursday 6 October 2022 (virtual)
Training and start date:
You’ll need to attend a 1-hour online training session during either the weeks commencing 24 October 2022 or 31 October 2022.
Ideally, you’ll be available to observe the group on Wednesday 26 October 2022 with the date of your first group being Wednesday 23 November 2022.