We have an exciting opportunity to lead our Conference and Review team.
The team fulfils the goals and functions of Child Looked After Reviews, Child Protection Conferences and the Participation of Children and Young people.
The post will manage the Independent Reviewing Officers, Child Protection Chairs, the Participation Officer and business support staff.
If you are a social work manager looking for an opportunity to influence performance and practice at a senior level and want to be involved in strategic decision making then we would welcome an application from you.
Bracknell Forest Council have a nationally recognised practice model – the ‘Family Safeguarding Model’.
Working collaboratively with families to keep them together, where it is safe to do so, the principles of the model are embedded in all areas of work with children and families. This includes, in the Conference and Review Team, working to the principles and values of Strengthening Families, Relationship Based work and applying Motivational Interviewing principles and skills.
The team is part of the Quality Assurance Service and plays a significant role in practice learning and development across the Directorate and with partner agencies.
What it’s like working in our team…
We are a small team of experienced social work managers and experienced support staff based in the Commissioning Service but working closely with Children Social Care to deliver our functions.
We know that social work, whilst rewarding, is not always easy. We favour a relational approach in all that we do, and so have a secure staffing establishment which has provided consistency for the children we oversee and strong working relationships with social work colleagues in Children Social Care and external partners.
To support high quality consistent practice, we have a regular and comprehensive learning and development offer as well as sourcing bespoke training for the Conference and Review team.
We are graded Outstanding in our June 2022 ILACS inspection. Inspectors say we have:
‘an ambitious leadership team’,
‘there is a healthy culture of child focused support and challenge across the organisation that is evident at all levels’,
‘senior leaders know their services well and developed an extensive quality assurance framework’.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties, responsibilities and training…
- To support the Head of Service in providing strong leadership for the service area, based on a clear vision of the outcomes to be achieved for children on child protection plans, looked after children and allegations against staff and volunteers and the ways in which this will be done.
- To ensure the service has effective operational and strategic relationships with Childrens Social Care, other council departments, partner agencies and the third sector, with regard to looked after children and safeguarding and child protection. This will include development of strategies to improve performance.
- To maintain effective monitoring and quality assurance within the team to ensure CLA reviews, child protection conferences and ASVs are conducted in accordance with policy and regulations and to the standards set within the service and council.
- To directly contribute to the Quality Assurance Framework (QAF). To maintain processes and mechanisms for measuring, reporting on and monitoring, to assure and improve the quality of practice within the team and across CSC.
The benefits you will experience are…
- An inclusive social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
- Social Work England registration fees can be claimed back from the Council.
What we’re looking for…
You must be a qualified social worker with management experience in children social care and who values relationships with colleagues internally and externally. You must have a sound knowledge of the Children Act 1989 and related legislation.
The right candidate will bring an in-depth knowledge of what works for children and families and what good looks like in practice. They will also be able to use a broad range of information such as statistical data, audit information, research evidence, feedback from families and the voices of children to understand the collective impact of the team
Ideally you will have experience of working in a Conference and Review Team but at minimum have excellent knowledge of the Independent Reviewing Officer functions and Child Protection Conference Chair functions.
Interviews will be heald on 17 October 2022
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role, please contact:
Kogie Perumall, Head of Quality Assurance; 01344352767
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified
Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience of working within the current Social Care System and Framework
Social Work England registration fees can be claimed back from the Council
Any candidates wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria
No agencies please