Reading Borough Council is transforming its leisure offer. We are creating a range of modern and state of the art facilities, including, a new flagship leisure centre at Rivermead (featuring competition swimming, diving, gym and sports hall) and a new swimming pool and centre refurbishment at Palmer Park Sports Stadium. Refurbishment works at South Reading Leisure Centre and Meadway Sports Centre completed in 2022. In total, this equates to over a £40m investment over three years into this high-profile transformational project.
This significant investment into facilities is part of a new 25-year contract with Greenwich Leisure Ltd, signed in July 2021. Now is an exciting time to join us and you will manage and develop the partnership ensuring the service grows to meet the needs of Reading’s communities, delivering high quality and inclusive services.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
As the Contract Manager who oversees this dynamic service, you, along with the Sports and Physical Activity Officer, will have the opportunity to both drive up standards and develop partnerships to ensure the needs of the town are met. You will take the lead in the development, management and administration of the Council’s leisure contract, ensuring both contractual and statutory compliance. Through the contract we will achieve excellent results including continuous improvement in areas of customer satisfaction and the delivery of corporate priorities. This includes increasing rates of participation in physical activity and provision of services to vulnerable groups.
In addition you will oversee the management of Reading’s outdoor sports pavilions and leisure buildings and liaison with local clubs and leisure partners to create long-lasting relationships that maximise the use and community benefits derived from these building. You will take an active role in developing the outcomes within Reading’s Local Football Facilities Plan, Playing Pitch Strategy and other related strategies alongside the Local FA, Football Foundation and local football clubs and leagues.
You will work with the other departments within the Council to ensure that the leases of the leisure estate are kept up to date and relevant whilst provided support to the local leisure infrastructure.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - champion and inspire a culture which ensures that all employees across the organisation work together to provide excellent outcomes for Reading
Drive Efficiency - create an environment in which resources are used efficiently and employees’ skills are developed and used effectively
Be Ambitious - aspire to deliver excellence and inspire and support others to reach their potential
Make a Difference to Reading - inspire a culture in which the customer is the focus and where change is welcomed as an opportunity
You will play a fundamental role in shaping the management of the leisure contract into the future, requiring a clear vision of what our service will provide.
- Proactive, determined and positive, you will lead on the development of partnership working, contract management and monitoring systems.
- With a high degree of organisational and leadership skills you will, through the contract, deliver the best quality of service with our leisure partner.
- You will need a track record of successful leisure centre contract management and collaborative partnership working, including seeking external funding
- This role will include monitoring service standards, requiring a knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation and quality assurance systems such as Quest.
- Strong and varied communication and interpersonal skills will be needed to develop constructive relations with facility and senior managers, customers, stake holders and other partners within the council.
- The ability to negotiate will also be required to maximise the benefits derived from, and future improvements to, the partnership.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment. A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop
Local Government Pension Scheme(LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- Season Ticket Loan - a loan to help with the cost of your rail or bus journey, to and from work
- Cycle salary sacrifice scheme
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing, and road tax
- Salary sacrifice scheme for Additional Voluntary Contributions (AVCs) to help you save for your retirement
- Discounted Gym Membership with our Leisure Partners GLL.
- Shopping vouchers and money off deals
- Staff Club - organises events such as pub quizzes and theatre trips
- Eye care - help towards an eye test and glasses, if you use a computer at work
To arrange a confidential discussion on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 2nd October 2022
Interview Date: TBC
Interview Process: Interviews to include a test/presentation and panel interview.
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.