Voids and Lettings Team Leader
12-month Fixed Term
Full time 37 hours
RG7b – scp 33-36
£37,568 - £ 40,578
Our Housing and Communities Team are passionate about the people who live in our town; our vision is for everyone to have the opportunity to live in a good quality sustainable home within a lively and thriving neighbourhood. We have bags of energy and enthusiasm and channel this by seeking to innovate and create opportunities that have a lasting effect on the communities in Reading, keeping them at the heart of all we do. Our work is rewarding, we change lives for the better by tackling homelessness, building new homes and strengthening communities.
This post will have overall responsibility for the functions under Part VI of the 1996 Housing Act 1996, as amended and letting properties in accordance with Reading Borough Council’s Allocations Scheme, promoting the delivery of high-performance empty property management, high quality standards of voids and managing the process to ensure relet targets.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
About the role
Ensure the letting of void properties in a timely manner using the Choice Based Lettings systems, in line with the Allocations Scheme.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead, manage and motivate the staff in order to meet the service objectives and achieve required targets and standards
- Ensure the team are working towards and are aware of relevant policy and understand their responsibilities and duties
- Management of the Housing Register and the delivery of housing options to those on the Register
- Monitoring performance across the service
- Lead on the property reletting process from the point of notice on tenancy to commencement of tenancy
- Respond to customer and member enquiries and complaints.
You’ll be part of a team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. As well as the colleagues that you work closely with every day, you’ll also be part of Team Reading, playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place. Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
The following experience is required for this role:
- Experience of Allocations under Part VI of the Housing Act 1996, and relevant case law
- At least two years’ experience of housing management at a managerial level, preferably leading a front-line service.
- Happy developing policy and procedures and their implementation
- Experience of working with elected members
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact email@example.com
Closing Date: 9th Oct
Interview Date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.