Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) is passionate about providing high quality services to our communities, residents and businesses. This means we need to employ and retain the most talented and dedicated people.
Situated within the heart of the Cambridge-Peterborough Growth Area, Huntingdonshire is a beautiful district that boasts thriving market towns and many attractive villages, each with its own identity. We are an innovative and forward-thinking local authority whose residents are at the heart of our decision-making.
About the role
Our Revenues and Benefits team is a key team for us. Reporting directly into the Chief Operating Officer, this post will be vital in taking this team forward. You'll be leading a substantial team and be supported by team leaders drawn from each of the key service areas for Council Tax, Business Rates, Housing Benefit and Fraud.
You’ll also play your part in the wider corporate landscape - working in projects and initiatives that will make a difference to our customers and your colleagues. This role will work with directors, politicians and other teams who are working to make Huntingdonshire a great place.
The role offers you the chance to get hands on with Revenues and Benefits matters. You'd expect that, but it will also stretch you in developing our team and delivering key projects. A future that shows increased productivity, better career pathways for our talented team and genuine innovation will be things that excite and challenge you.
You'll be a highly motivated individual who:
- Enjoys working in Revenues and Benefits. Your team will ensure we maximise the collection of money that pays for critical public services and provide access to the benefits customers are entitled to
- When you need to play your part at a senior level you’ll be able to make decisions, demonstrating your professional competency and credibility to all stakeholders
- Can develop a team who are capable, confident and able to continuously improve. In doing this you'll be someone who can delegate, empower and enable your team
- Has an eye for opportunity, can maximise income from the service and enable innovation. We have exciting projects on the anvil, and we want your ideas too
- Can work with other teams to maximise the impact they can have on your service, whether that's colleagues in Transformation, Finance, HR or the wider team who are working in Huntingdonshire. You won't be on your own, you’ve got lots of support to help you achieve your objectives
- Is capable and confident talking to politicians. You will have direct access to a Portfolio Holder for your service area - so you'll have a voice right at the top of the organisation.
About us and what we offer you
Huntingdonshire offers a lot. Our values matter to us. We want to employ staff who embody our icare values (Inspiring, Collaborative, Accountable, Respectful, Enterprising), all of which support our purpose of putting customers first. When we talk to you, expect us to explore how you deliver these values - so we can be sure you’ll fit with what we are making happen in Huntingdonshire!
You will have freedom to act, you will be supported and if you are interested in progressing further in your career then we'd love to support your longer-term ambitions. We’ve got a great team and we'd love to hear from you.
View the job description [PDF, 0.2MB].
Does this sound like the opportunity for you? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
Closing date is 9am 28 November 2022 however, we'll be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and will close the advert early should we receive suitable applications so please don’t delay in applying! Interviews are anticipated to take place week commencing 5 December 2022
Should you have any additional questions regarding submitting an application, please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com.
Please note that the official closing date is as above and will be the correct date. Some third party websites may have different dates so please always refer to the HDC website for the official closing date to ensure you do not miss out on applying.
For many of our roles (and where it is possible) we are currently working remotely and anticipate in the future returning to a hybrid office model on a flexible basis. This will still include work from home and flexi-time opportunities in order to provide a good work-life balance whilst still ensuring that teams benefit from in person interaction. Candidates should therefore be within commutable distance of our offices in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire or able to attend meetings as required if further afield.
As an employer who values diversity of thought, we seek to employ candidates from a range of backgrounds in order to make our organisation more innovative. We are seeking candidates who are looking for their next career opportunity and are a supportive employer, enabling our staff to work in an environment that produces high standards of work in an employee-led environment.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of our recruitment and along with our values we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment, where diversity is valued and there is equality of opportunity. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community and we offer a range of benefits, including flexitime, to encourage a work-life balance.
View our benefits.