To provide strategic oversight of the planning and delivery of major development sites across Ebbsfleet, primarily through managing a team of planning officers and acting as case officer for larger and more complex planning applications. The role involves working proactively with developers, their consultant teams and stakeholders during all stages of the planning process from pre-application through to delivery. The post-holder will be responsible for making decisions in line with the scheme of delegation and the management and performance of staff.
The post-holder will report to the Head of Development Management in the Planning and Place Directorate.
Main Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
The post holder will be required to:
- Manage and oversee the day to day activities of a team of planning officers to support the discharge of the Planning Team’s functions as set out in the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation (Planning Functions) Order 2015, so as to deliver the Corporation’s Strategic objectives, within the context of the adopted development plans, supplementary planning documents, standards and guidelines for the area;
- Oversee the delivery of strategic development sites covering all aspects of town planning and engaging with a range of stakeholders as required;
- Act as Case Officer for larger or more complex applications in a timely manner, proactively engaging in pre-application discussions and producing robust reports and recommendations to achieve desired and deliverable outcomes and where necessary present at Planning Committee;
- Negotiate with developers and landowners to achieve positive solutions, including negotiating S106 agreements;
- Present and prepare evidence at planning appeals as necessary;
- Be responsible for the management and performance of staff, including through the setting of clear objectives and targets and ensuring compliance with HR systems and working protocols;
- Work with the neighbouring local planning authorities on strategic planning matters;
- Develop effective relationships and partnership working with neighbouring local authorities, local communities and with other public, private and voluntary sector organisations in order to meet the Corporation’s objectives;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the Corporation to support corporate activities and projects;
- Work closely and effectively with the Head of Development Management and deputise for him/her in accordance with the Corporation’s Scheme of delegation; and
- Contribute to continuous improvement in the delivery of services provided by the Corporation’s Planning Service.
The criteria for this role are as follows:
- Significant town planning experience (including Chartered Membership of the RTPI or equivalent);
- Experience of managing complex applications and legal agreements;
- Experience of decisive, effective and creative evidence-based decision-making with a focus on outcomes;
- Experience of working with developers/landowners to advance opportunities through advice, recommendations and negotiation;
- A proven track record of managing and supporting staff including through setting and monitoring performance to achieve effective and timely delivery;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills suitable to present technical issues to Government representatives, Board Members, the public and representatives from a range of different professional backgrounds;
- Excellent customer service skills with experience of dealing with customers and a wide range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge and experience of local planning authority and/or private sector processes and procedures;
- Sound project planning/management skills; and
- Good working knowledge and experience in the use of IT software and systems
- Sound knowledge of local government functions
- Additional specialist related professional qualification
- Project Management training and/or qualification
- Experience in supporting corporate service functions and/or organisational development
- Experience of letting contracts
- This post will be based at the Corporation’s offices in the Observatory, Castle Hill, Ebbsfleet, with options for partial home-working arrangements.
- Working week of 37 hours between Monday to Friday with some occasional evening work including for Planning Committee meetings.
Interviews: – Wednesday 11 January in Ebbsfleet