Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
The London Borough of Hillingdon has a well-regarded cycling team who provide high quality training and other cycling services for residents across the borough.
In this role you will be joining Hillingdon Council's Cycling Team, a team of dedicated cycle instructors who provide Bikeability training (Bikeability is based on the National Standard for Cycle Training and seeks to embed four core functions into rider behaviour: Observation; positioning; communication and priorities). The team also provides cycle skills training for adults and families, SEN schools and residents, bike servicing and working at different cycle events all year round.
You will also have the opportunity to work alongside the School Travel and Road Safety Team on other projects and events to encourage safe and active travel in schools.
We are seeking an individual with a passion for cycling. Ideally someone who has a 1st4sport Level 2 Award in Instructing Cycle Training or the willingness to achieve the qualification with our assistance.
You will be self-motivated and able to work with both children and adults. You will be patient and be able to assess risk throughout courses, complete online paperwork, risk assessments and evaluation. You will be able to work with other instructors and take on responsibility for tasks as and when required.
You will be an ideal candidate if you meet this criteria, You must be able to travel borough wide for work and be available weekdays and weekends if necessary.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.