Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
This is a part time position working 18 hours per week. Work patterns include evening shifts (6:45-9:45 pm), twilight shifts (3:15-6:15 pm), weekend shifts, and occasional residential work.
The Sexual Health and Wellbeing Programme is one of the Targeted Programmes delivered by the London Borough of Hillingdon's Adolescent Development Services. The Programme offers a range of targeted sexual health related personal development and support programmes to adolescents aged 11 - 19, young adults aged 20 - 24 and adults, parents, carers and guardians.
The programme offers a spectrum of interventions to promote wellbeing and resilience services that include:
- Drop ins held weekly to offer advice on relationships, STI testing, contraception and pregnancy testing
- One to one support offering education and support packages designed and delivered to tackle specific sexual health and wellbeing issues for vulnerable and high risk young people
- Bespoke educational workshops for schools covering issues such as CSE, Consent, Online Safety, Pornography
- Outreach Drop ins delivered at targeted locations to give support information and services to vulnerable and high risk hard to reach young people and
- LGBTQI group work for young people aged 13 - 19 who identify form the LGBTQI community
The successful candidate will be committed to taking a positive, holistic and empowering approach to service delivery. We are looking for someone who has demonstrable experience and competence of working with young people in formal or informal education or a community setting .You need to have a good understanding of issues which young people face today with a focus on substance misuse. You will have a creative and dynamic approach and be able to engage with hard to reach and other vulnerable groups of young people.
There is no specific training or qualifications required for the post , as training to gain the required knowledge will be part of the induction to the role, but willingness to learn and gain knowledge in the field of substance misuse is a must.
The ideal candidate will also be:
- Confident and motivated
- Passionate about working with young people.
- Positive with a 'can do' attitude
- Approachable and able to engage with a diverse client population
- Proactive and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Respectful and polite
- Compassionate and understanding
- Reliable and organised
- Have excellent communication and listening skills
- Have the ability to work closely with a range of different organisations
- Able to work flexibly to meet the needs of young people, partners and stakeholder
- Have the ability to travel around the borough (a driving licence and access to a car is desirable)
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.