Job Reference: CO03 – 1695
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Finance and Commercial Services team at Slough Borough Council, as a Finance Manager. You will play a pivotal part in leading, assisting and supporting the Strategic Finance Managers and the Executive Director of Finance and Commercial services in developing and maintaining a comprehensive financial management advice service to departments or as part of the corporate and strategic finance team. The role is part of the biggest Finance transformation project the Council has ever seen. This role will allow you to have impact, be challenged and be part of a team that wants to leave a positive legacy within both the organisation and community.
Slough Borough Council has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances
What you’ll be doing:
- Working flexibly across the department, you will be involved in managing a team of Financial Accountants, Finance Assistants and Trainees
- You will help implement the council’s strategy on continuous service improvement, so it reaches its objectives both internally and for the wider community
- Work with colleagues to confirm savings proposals and develop and review capital projects
- Undertake service analysis to support the year-end position and the final accounts process
- Anticipate and identify key financial issues and risks affecting the business
- Liaise between the business and Government departments to ensure completion of all statutory matters
- Alongside other teams, produce financial and commercial analysis to support the financial strategy, decision making and service reviews
- Manage financial modelling of new services
- Support Budget Managers during budget preparation, monthly monitoring and other times
What you’ll have:
- Track record of success working within a finance function in a large complex organisation with substantial budgets
- Experience of maintaining positive partnerships/relationships within a complex business
- Ability to facilitate change and transformation
- Experience of analysing and providing advice/guidance on finance and policy issues
- Relevant professional qualifications: CCAB/CIMA or overseas equivalent
- Wide understanding of strategic financial planning and techniques and how they apply within a budget setting scenario
Our offer to you:
In this role, you will work within a rapidly changing environment which is under intense scrutiny. You will be part of a team where you will be required to play an important role in helping to deliver the corporate plan ensuring full integration with financial plans. Slough Borough Council is a challenging but rewarding place to work offering a supportive place to grow and develop your career with a real opportunity for your input to be valued and heard. You will have the opportunity to leave a legacy both within the company and community. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- Generous holiday entitlement: 25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2-5 years of service and 32 days after 5 years of service.
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket-to help with the cost of your rail/bus journey to and from work
In our office, we are assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Candidates as they are currently under-represented in leadership positions.
We value diversity.