Brighter Futures for Children
Part-time, 22.2 hours per week
Brighter Futures for Children is an independent, not-for-profit-company, wholly owned by Reading Borough Council. Our responsibility is to deliver quality children's services, early help, education and Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) services to children and families in Reading.
Our Human Resources team has been an effective, constant pillar supporting the development and nurturing of our people. The team plays an integral part in building culture and adding value to the organisation.
About the role:
The position of Health and Safety Advisor is to support the HR Manager to develop policies, safe working systems and procedures for management of Health and Safety. The postholder will be required to support projects that develop and promote Health and Safety awareness, policies, and procedures.
- To work with the HR Manager and Reading Borough Council’s Corporate Health & Safety Team in the implementation of the Company’s Health and Safety policy and its associated Codes of Practice and procedures.
- To proactively promote a safety culture across the Company and to provide advice, information, training, and support at all levels to ensure awareness and acceptance of health, safety and welfare duties and responsibilities.
- To work alongside the Senior Health & Safety Advisor in Reading Borough Council to research health and safety matters arising from new or revised legislation and to recommend changes to corporate codes of practice or best practice as necessary.
- To make a contribution towards the development of risk assessments and local safety policies within the Company by supporting and encouraging managers at all levels.
- Assist with the compilation, management and analysis of data collected from accident reports and other statistical sources to assess progress with health and safety performance management targets.
- Carry out health and safety audits and reporting to the relevant senior managers, Senior Leadership Team (SLT), and the Health and Safety Committee. Work in partnership with those stakeholders to deliver improvements where required.
- Assist senior managers in carrying out health and safety inspections to ensure best practice and application of relevant corporate procedures.
- In collaboration with Reading Borough Council, liaise and work in partnership with managers to ensure lone working compliance including monitoring, and reporting on, lone badge usage, distribution, training, and stock.
- To liaise and work in partnership with the Trade Unions, Reading Borough Council’s Insurance, Occupational Health, Health and Safety Executive and other agencies/stakeholders to enhance the Company’s health and safety performance.
Previous experience working within a Health and Safety related role is required as is a positive and resilient nature. This is a highly rewarding role where you’ll have the opportunity and autonomy to really make a difference.
- Level 4 award in Health & Safety in the Workplace (or equivalent) or have work experience demonstrating a similar level of attainment
- Experience in auditing (or assisting in audits of) safe working systems in a diverse organisation.
- Carried out accident investigations making recommendations for improvement where necessary.
- Assisted in accident investigations.
- Experience of working with senior managers developing health and safety performance targets.
- Lead or assist with the delivery and development of health and safety training.
- Carried out assessments for complex risks.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 25 days incremental holiday plus public holidays (rising to 32 after 10 years’ service)
- Discounted Child Care (on site nursery)
- Salary Sacrifice Car Lease Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loans
- A range of local discounts
For more information and a confidential discussion please contact: Jamie Frost-Bridges Jamie.Frost-Bridges@brighterfuturesforchildren.org
Closing date: 30 November 2022
Interview date: 7 December 2022
We look forward to hearing from you!