Hillingdon is London's second largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Our Borough offers fantastic transport links with the A40, M25, the Metropolitan, Elizabeth and Piccadilly lines all local to us, so you can travel to work with ease, with free parking within our own car park. We also offer a hybrid working arrangements, with time balanced between the office and home. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our offering, while sustaining the high quality services and facilities they expect.
Within Place, we deliver a wide range of services to the residents of the Borough; everything from managing green spaces, to libraries, highways and planning. We are currently looking for a new Director of Planning, Regeneration and Public Realm to join the team.
About the role
In this newly created Director role, you will steer and lead the Council's strategic priorities in planning, regeneration, transportation and highways. You will be responsible for developing and overseeing the delivery of the council's local plan, masterplan, and regeneration plan, and you will ensure that these are ambitious and deliver significant benefits to the borough, our residents and businesses.
Key areas of the role include:
· leading on the expansion of an exciting regeneration programme, engaging with local people to shape the borough's future, which will include the redevelopment of the town centre
· developing an enhanced building control service which can compete in the external market to generate income for reinvestment into council services
· developing and promoting active travel plans across the borough, bringing with this significant environmental and health benefits to individuals
· Maximising potential opportunities for additional funding to enhance the environment and lives of Hillingdon's residents, businesses and visitors
The role holder will be set targets to meet and exceed through the effective leadership of their teams. This is a high profile role which offers a significant level of challenge, along with undertaking the role of Chief Planning Officer. This is an exciting time to join our strong and ambitious leadership team, as part of a dynamic, forward-thinking Council.
In this role you will be pivotal in leading and delivering our service priorities through innovation and inspiration, shaping the future development of the borough of Hillingdon.
You will have a proven track record as an innovative leader and valuable corporate contributor with the confidence, skills and experience to effectively inform and influence a range of colleagues and stakeholders within and outside the council including council Members.
You will possess broad and in-depth expert knowledge and understanding of the national policies, legislation, and the changing landscape around planning, regeneration transportation and highways and you will have the ability to translate and apply them in a local context.
You will relish challenge and will bring energy and pace to the delivery of our ambitions. You will be a great leader who believes in developing and empowering your teams and
collaborating with colleagues to get the best possible outcome. You will be experienced at fostering successful partnerships, have excellent commercial skills and a high degree of political sensitivity.
What we offer
The role offers a competitive salary of £101,861 to £126,845 per year. New employees are usually offered the starting salary of the band, however for more experienced candidates consideration may be made to join at a salary on a higher level within the band. We also offer a wide range of company benefits and whilst these vary according to the business area and role, they typically include:
· local government average salary pension scheme
· free parking if based at the Civic Centre
· a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
· generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
· career breaks and flexible working hours
· season ticket loan and access to a Credit Union
· access to a wide range of training and courses with discounts on a variety of adult education courses run by the council
· payment of professional fees where these are required
· discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
· cycle purchase and car sharing scheme
· 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Please upload your CV and a covering letter explaining clearly why you consider yourself to be an excellent fit for the role.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.