About us & the role
Hillingdon is London's second-largest borough. Our staff live across Hillingdon and beyond, with our main council offices at the Civic Centre in the heart of the vibrant Uxbridge town centre. Putting our residents first is at the heart of everything we do, and we are embarking on an ambitious plan to modernise our service offering while sustaining high-quality delivery.
We are now recruiting for a Leasehold Team Leader reporting to the Income Manager to join our busy, specialist service. The post holder will play a pivotal role in supporting Hillingdon Council as we strive to deliver our core functions and achieve positive outcomes via a collaborative network.
This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to join our Leasehold Team. The Team Leader will lead on producing service charges invoices adhering to all the required processes working internal and external sections. In addition, the appointed Team Leader will lead on revision of all processes, with emphasis on Northgate NEC system update and full integration.
Our borough offers fantastic transport links with the A40, M25, Metropolitan, Elizabeth, and Piccadilly lines, all local to us, so you can easily travel to work, with free parking within our own car park. We also offer hybrid working arrangements, balancing time between the office and home.
Main aspects of the role
The main aspects of the role are
- Managing the Leasehold Revenues function in Housing Management, you will play a lead role in ensuring accurate and compliant charges are raised across the Council's leasehold portfolio and ensure income from service charges and major works invoices are maximised.
- You will take responsibility for managing and developing the leasehold income and debt recovery 'business unit' within the landlord service and improving rates of customer satisfaction with the service provided.
- Representing a fifth of the customer base, the Leasehold Revenues Team Leader will play a key role in improving and modernising services for leaseholders, adopting best practice, improving customer pathways and driving up satisfaction rates for leaseholders in the context of charging and collection functions.
- You will act as a specialist resource within the team and service, providing advice, supervision and guidance to staff on complex and challenging charging and recovery matters.
- Working across Housing Management and other parts of the landlord service you will contribute to the quality of service delivery, champion the leaseholder customer perspective and ensure that services are responsive, effective and meet the needs of the Council's leaseholders.
You will have extensive experience of working in a public sector housing environment having operational responsibility for a large leasehold portfolio.
It is essential that you hold an appropriate qualification in a relevant field: NVQ, Diploma, relevant degree or be able to demonstrate an equivalent level of experience. You will also need to either hold an appropriate management qualification commensurate with the role, be working towards or willing to obtain a management qualification.
This is a great opportunity to demonstrable your ability to bring forward practical, creative and innovative solutions to problems, where individuals are unable to comply with the financial aspects of their Leasehold obligations.
It is essential that you can demonstrate the following knowledge and skills of key service areas, including, but not exclusively:
- a sound knowledge of legislation and good practice associated with service charge management
- Thorough understanding of leasehold major works invoicing and recovery
- Ability and willingness to develop and maintain a detailed knowledge base associated with applicable aspects of the Social Housing Regulatory framework
- Ability to supervise and coach staff to drive performance improvement
- Sound knowledge of the actions and standards which must be evidenced to meet the requirements for successful Leasehold recovery
- Strong ICT skills including Word and Excel and the specific ability to use, lead on implementation, regular upgrading of service specific software (Northgate).
- Ability to communicate effectively in a wide variety of situations, and present views positively and persuasively to gain support using a collaborative style which secures positive outcomes.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to appropriately challenge in the context of accuracy, cost and quality.
- Ability to analyse and interpret a range of complex information from a variety of sources in connection with individuals and accounts and to present information in a clear, concise and structured way.
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
If you want to discuss this opportunity please contact Kwame McEyeson, Income Manager, at
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.
Due to an expected high volume of applications, we could close this role early, we therefore recommend you apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.