The Finance, Portfolio and Performance (FPP) team is critical to supporting a thriving Parliamentary democracy. We play a leading role in delivering the House of Commons’ Strategy and corporate priorities through business and financial planning, analysing performance, and supporting the delivery of projects and programmes across Parliament. Equally important are the financial services, systems, accounting, reporting and Members’ services that we provide to keep the House of Commons Service working effectively and efficiently on a day-to-day basis.
The Head of Financial Services is responsible for leading the three operational finance teams comprising Accounts Payables, Accounts Receivable and Cash Management. These teams provide key finance services for the House of Commons, including payments processing, debtor management, cash and bank reconciliations and VAT.
This role provides senior management oversight and leadership for the Financial Services Team to ensure delivery of high-quality services for the following:
- Timely and accurate outward payments to suppliers and third parties.
- Effective management of customer debts through receipting, recognition and reporting of income.
- Robust cash management and banking operations, ensuring the House has sufficient cash available to meet its financial obligations.
Demonstrating an understanding of the organisation and the wider priorities, you will work with the wider Finance community and Parliament’s business areas to ensure the application of sound financial management and control.
Some key responsibilities of this post include;
- Responsible for overseeing all activities of the Financial Services Team. These activities include all operational functions delivered through Accounts Payables, Accounts Receivable, Cash and Banking, and administration of the Government Procurement Card transactions.
- Lead on design and effective management of adequate business resilience plans and service improvements to meet changing business and customer needs.
- Responsible for developing staff capability and supporting wellbeing through effective line management, in response to changing internal and external needs, and individual requirements.
- Provide advice and guidance on all financial services related matters to colleagues within the Finance community and wider organisation.
Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Strong understanding of financial processes and accounting methodology, along with significant practical experience of their application to an organisation’s financial operations.
- Highly developed staff management and leadership skills, with significant experience of developing and supporting a professional and trusted team, whilst maintaining the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Strong business focus, with ability to identify customer needs, and deliver tailored operational finance processes in response to changes in the environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate simply and clearly in person and in writing, ensuring key massages are understood by individuals at all levels.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- 30 days’ annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service Pension scheme.
- Access to training and development.
- Flexible working.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan.
Job Description :
JD Head Financial Services 2022.pdf – 109KB
Additional File :
House of Commons Benefits and Support (3) (1).pdf – 495KB
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the Job Description.