Achieving for Children is a Community Interest Company that has a public sector ethos, combined with the freedom to innovate enabling us to do things differently. As a not-for-profit social enterprise owned by three local authorities (Windsor & Maidenhead, Kingston and Richmond), we offer the freedoms of a social enterprise with the employment benefits of local government. To find out more about us click here.
We are responsible for the entire range of children’s education, health and social care services in all three boroughs. We use a Signs of Safety practice model and approach which ensures the voice of the child is at the heart of everything we do. There’s never been a better time to join AfC, we are growing our workforce, implementing new flexible working arrangements and have increased our virtual wellbeing offer.
The Finance Business Partner is a key role within our Windsor & Maidenhead Management Accounting Team. Working as part of a supportive team each Finance Business Partner takes the lead in a designated service area and provides advice and support with financial planning, reporting, costing, financial training and development.
About the role:
This post involves significant collaborative work and business partnering with colleagues from across operational service areas as well as other support service functions. The successful postholder will be proactive in building productive relationships with budget managers and develop a sound knowledge of their service areas over time.
Core responsibilities include:
- setting and monitoring budgets
- closing the area at the end of the financial year
- financial returns
- identifying and delivering continual improvements and developments to the finance support function
- work collaboratively with colleagues from across the company to deliver high quality children's services in a cost effective way
For further information about this role, please contact James Norris by email firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal discussion.
The successful candidate should ideally be a fully qualified accountant with active membership of a reputable accounting body (CIPFA, ACA, CIMA, ACCA). This is desirable but applications from candidates qualified by experience are also encouraged. The successful candidate will need to provide expert support and advice within their area of responsibility, but also provide challenge to managers when appropriate. He or she will need to be a highly effective communicator, with the ability to explain things clearly to non-financial managers. It is also vital that he or she is hands on, with excellent technical skills.
They should be able to demonstrate:
- experience in working as a Finance Business Partner or Management Accountant in a large and/or public sector organisation. Experience of working with the Dedicated Schools Grant and in particular a detailed understanding of the High Needs Block would be an advantage but not essential
- experience of successfully working within a finance function in a large complex organisation with substantial budgets would be an advantage
- experience of successfully building & maintaining positive partnerships/relationships within a complex business
- experience of budget setting and forecasting
- experience of process/cost improvements
- an ability to work flexibly and independently with limited management oversight
- the ability to work under pressure with competing demands on their time
About our benefits:
We are focused on creating a positive supportive environment, where you will have access to a really wide range of resources, as well as a competitive salary and all the perks to enable hybrid working. In AfC you will also have access to:
- 29 days annual leave, increasing to 33 days after 2 years and 35 days after 4 years.
- Tailored induction sessions commencing on the date you start working for AfC
- Stable and supportive leadership
- Hybrid and mobile working (between home and work) with latest technology to facilitate this
- Local Government salary and pension scheme (LGPS or Teachers Pension)
- Flexible working options - helping to keep a good work life balance
- A comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme
- A range of staff benefits and discounts
- An excellent learning and development offer to support your career pathway
To find out about all of the breadth of benefits of working for Achieving for Children click here.