- Employer: Falkland Islands Government
- Reference: 200/23/230060
- Published: Mon 27/02/2023, 5:00 AM
- Closing on: Sun 26/03/2023, 19:30 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week
- Salary: Starting Salary £32-£37k (up to £40k for an exceptional candidate) plus 25% Gratuity (taxable) & Flights and Relocation Package
- DBS Check: No
- Location: King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Stanley. Falkland Islands, Falkland Islands
The King Edward VII Memorial Hospital (KEMH) in the Falkland Islands has an opportunity for a Biomedical Scientist with Microbiology expertise to join the team in the Laboratory. The department serves a small, diverse population and processes over 60k test per annum. The laboratory has a small staff establishment of three BMS staff, one food and water scientist and two support staff, that provide testing across Biochemistry, Haematology, Transfusion, Clinical Microbiology and Food & Water Microbiology.
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary clinical diagnostic team offering a service to our small, remote and rural hospital and two external independent medical centres, you will act in a dual capacity mainly working in Microbiology but also covering areas within Blood Science.
Registered as a Biomedical Scientist with the HCPC, you will have an honours degree or equivalent experience suitable for registration with the Institute of Biomedical Science or equivalent international body.
This a wonderful opportunity to expand your professional skill mix whilst enjoying life in a unique location with unprecedented access to nature.
You will act as the lead for Clinical Microbiology testing procedures, EQA participation and training. Opportunities to train and participate in Food & Water Microbiology will be provided to ensure that service provision in all areas of microbiology testing is resilient. Training in provision of blood science testing will be provided to allow the candidate to participate in the multi-disciplinary out of hours roster, including lone working at weekends.
The role reports directly to the Laboratory Manager and has no direct line management responsibility for staff.
- Is familiar with UK Standards for Microbiology Investigations (UK SMIs) on which the KEMH laboratory methods are based.
- Has experience in performing antibiotic sensitivity testing and reporting using disc diffusion method and EUCAST guidelines.
- Experienced with working to ISO standards 17025 and/or 15189.
- Ability to produce, review and amend working documents e.g. SOPs; familiarity with Q-Pulse software or similar would be beneficial.
- Has a high level of professionalism, especially in regards to medical confidentiality and data protection.
- Has sufficient experience to confidently make independent decisions about microbiology issues.
- Is thorough in the undertaking of internal quality control and assurance activities.
- Must be comfortable working with a high degree of autonomy, but communicate effectively both with departmental team members and clinical colleagues.
- Organised, enthusiastic, self-motivated and proactive, problem solver and a supportive team player.
- Has at least 3 years’ experience working in a clinical Microbiology laboratory.
- For more information on the KEMH and the opportunities available due to the uniqueness of the roles within the service please view the recruitment viedo at https://youtu.be/MBqyXBasSVc
- 2 year Fixed Term Contract.
- Starting Salary £32,461 - £37,425 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £40,090.
- Eligibility for a 25% gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 days annual leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave)
- Relocation allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Government housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and view further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the laboratory department and its activities please visit https://www.falklands.gov.fk/health/laboratory
For further information regarding the position please contact Kim Finlayson, Laboratory Manager, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (+500) 28068.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications - 26 March 2023 @ 1930GMT
Shortlisting commencing - 27 March 2023
Interviews commencing - 04 April 2023
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8,000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.