- Employer: Falkland Islands Government
- Reference: 450/23/230677
- Published: Fri 03/03/2023, 11:02 AM
- Closing on: Fri 31/03/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week
- Salary: Starting Salary £78,103 - £89,628 per annum plus Gratuity, Flights and Relocation Grant
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Stanley, Falkland Islands. , Falkland Islands
Head of Legal Services
Are you ready for a new and exciting challenge? Would you like to work as the Head of Legal Services in a unique and vibrant community in a stunning natural environment? If so, come and join our friendly team of experienced professionals in the beautiful Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
The Falkland Islands Government is seeking a suitably qualified lawyer to lead their Legal Services Team. Reporting to the Attorney General, your small team will provide legal advice to all areas within the Government. The team includes the Islands’ prosecution service and child protection legal adviser, and has the responsibility to advise on a varied range of other public law, land law, contract and commercial matters. You will be called upon to deputise for the Attorney General as and when required.
This is a great opportunity to work in, and to lead, a small team at the very centre of Government in a unique British overseas territory.
Applicants should be admitted as a Solicitor or called as a Barrister in the UK, a Commonwealth country or in the Republic of Ireland, have a minimum of seven years relevant post qualified experience and be able to demonstrate a strong track record (of at least two years standing) of effective staff and resource management. Full details of the essential and desirable requirements for the post are outlined in the application pack.
- Fixed Term Contract, up to 4 years.
- Starting Salary £78,103 - £89,628 (depending on qualifications and experience) rising to £96,395.
- Eligibility for a 25% gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract
- 30 days annual leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave)
- Relocation allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights package for you and recognised dependents at the beginning and end of contract, and additional annual return flights contingent on the duration of the contract
- Government housing for rent and a starter pack to help you settle in.
- A stimulating and supportive setting to work in and a unique and beautiful setting to live in.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can download the job description and view further information from our online vacancy page.
For further information regarding the position please contact Simon Young, Attorney General, by emailing AttorneyGeneral@sec.gov.fk or by calling (+500) 28461.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on 'Apply Now' and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to email@example.com before the closing date.
Timetable for Recruitment and Selection Process
Closing Date for Applications - 31 March 2023 @ Midnight
Shortlisting - Week commencing 03 April 2023
Interviews - Week commencing 10 April 2023
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)
The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities across a broad spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government (eg, taxation, legislation and policy) as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health, social services and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite: www.jobs.gov.fk
The Falkland Islands
Set in the South Atlantic Ocean, approximately 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.