- Employer: Reading Borough Council
- Reference: RES0424
- Published: Tue 21/03/2023, 12:34 PM
- Closing on: Sun 16/04/2023, 23:59 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: To be confirmed
- Salary: £51,627 - £57,763
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Reading, Berkshire
More InformationMore about this employer
Major Projects Accountant
Reading Borough Council is looking for a Major Projects Accountant to play a key role in delivering an exciting range of projects, including:
- The development of Minster Quarter
- The new state of the art swimming pool and leisure centre at Rivermead
- The HexBox expansion of our much-loved Hexagon Theatre
- The development of a new central library
- The delivery of our Bus Service Improvement Programme
Reporting to the Strategic Finance Business Partner for Economic Growth and Neighbourhood Services, you will provide strategic and operational financial advice to the Project Directors and will provide assurance to the Director of Finance about the robustness of the financial arrangements that are in place. You will be working with project teams across the whole of Reading Borough Council.
This is an exciting, high-profile opportunity to help deliver incredible new facilities for the people of Reading.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity and inclusion is the key to our success. Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We are open to flexible working patterns and can provide a hybrid working environment which utilises the best of both worlds with a mix of office working in central Reading and homeworking according to the needs of the Service.
About the role
Reading is an amazing place to live and work:
- 2nd best place to live in the UK
- Ranked in top 5 UK cities for economic growth
- 4th largest reduction of carbon footprint in the UK
- One of only 19 councils in the UK to make the ‘A’ list for bold climate leadership
You’ll be a major part of a strong and successful finance team that relies on each individual to play their part to the best of their ability. You will also be part of multi-disciplinary teams with colleagues from across the council and partner organisations, using the Team Reading ethos and playing your personal part in making Reading a successful and vibrant place.
Our vision is to ensure that Reading realises its potential as a great place to live, work and play, and that everyone shares the benefits of this success. Our values and behaviours guide how we will achieve this:
Work Together as one team - work collaboratively, with each other and with our partners, and demonstrate the Team Reading values in everything we do
Drive Efficiency - show initiative, be adaptable to change and put forward ideas to help improve delivery and efficiency. Take responsibility for our own learning and development and for reaching our potential
Be Ambitious - be demanding of our own performance – striving to be even better – and be prepared to engage with and challenge leaders in a constructive and positive way
Make a Difference to Reading - maintain the highest levels of customer service and be flexible and willing to provide the services needed at the time they are needed
You will be a CCAB (or equivalent) qualified accountant with a passion for delivering world-class public services. You will be a strong finance voice, helping to deliver significant capital projects on time and within budget.
You will have significant experience of working in a local authority or public sector environment, with an excellent knowledge of the technical finance requirements involved in the delivery of capital projects.
You will also have strong inter-personal skills, building excellent working relationships with officers at all levels of the organisation.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
For more information on this position please contact Stephen MacDonald, Strategic Finance Business Partner (DEGNS) at Stephen.MacDonald@Reading.gov.uk
Closing Date: 16th April 2023
Interview Date: w/c 24th April 2023
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.