- Employer: Resources
- Reference: RES/23/233560-HCC22467
- Published: Wed 22/03/2023, 9:25 AM
- Closing on: Sun 16/04/2023, 23:55 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time
- Hours: 37 hours
- Salary: £21,575 with the opportunity to progress to a maximum of £24,054 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Hertfordshire, Hertford
More InformationMore about this employer
Archive Library Assistant
Job Title: Archive Library Assistant
Location: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, Hertford
Starting Salary: £21,575 with the opportunity to progress to a maximum of £24,054 per annum
Hours: 37 hours per week
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies preserves and promotes resources for the study of Hertfordshire past and present. Do you have experience providing great customer care and a love of local and family history?
You will provide an efficient enquiry, reprographics, document retrieval, and referral service to customers onsite and to remote customers by telephone, email and by letter, ensuring customer care standards are met. Flexibility, remaining calm under pressure and prioritising your workload are important for this role.
You will use catalogues and indexes, IT, and other equipment to help customers and support volunteers. You will assist with collections tasks and helping with digital projects including working with historic documents.
You will also help with operational routines, clerical and retail tasks (e.g. produce statistics, update shop stock in store and online, contact suppliers and perform stocktakes). Contribute to income generation through the delivery of chargeable services
Duties are undertaken on a rota basis which include regular evenings and weekends. Your contribution to open days, exhibitions, and other promotional events can occasionally take place out of hours and at weekends
- Friendly and confident person happy to work in a public facing role in a busy search room, with some experience of cash handling
- Able to communicate effectively in person, by telephone and in writing to answer enquiries; with the ability to converse fluently with external stakeholders/citizens and provide information in accurate spoken English
- Confident and competent using a range of computer software such as Microsoft Office, the internet and other computer-based information resources. You will be able to support and advise members of the public in their use of IT
- Organised and methodical, with an ability to pay attention to detail. Able to sort in alphabetical and numerical order, including Roman numerals
- Able to lift and carry awkward and heavy items, specialist equipment will be provided
- Flexible and able to use initiative and work effectively without direct supervision
- Hold a full UK driving licence and able to drive a leased vehicle to retrieve documents from the out-stores and elsewhere.
Interest in and knowledge of archives, local and family history sources is desirable, with the opportunity to learn about our fascinating collections from 1060 to the present. You will enjoy helping customers and support access to our unique collections in both the archive reading room and local studies library. You will be able to contribute to promotional events both onsite and around the county.
Closing Date: 16th April 2023
Interview Date: 26th & 27th April 2023
For an informal discussion please contact: Angela Ludlow / Claudia Williams 0300 123 4049