Accounts Receivable Officer – Temporary (Maternity Cover)
A position has arisen for a Temporary Accounts Receivable Officer (credit controller) to join the Exchequer team to play an important role in the Exchequer finance function at Bracknell Forest Council with specific responsibility for Adult Social Care
The finance function is at the heart of the organisation and is proud of the professional standing it holds within the organisation. The Exchequer team is the engine room of the department and plays a fundamental role in ensuring the Council can deliver services.
The Exchequer team is responsible for paying all suppliers and recovering debts from customers which range across a broad spectrum of businesses and individuals. The Accounts Receivable Team is made up of 8 team members and covers a wide range of Council services from commercial debts to social care clients.
Each Accounts Receivable Officer specialises in a specific area of raising invoices and debt management – however there is an expectation that each team member will support the other areas of the team, providing cover when necessary and sharing ideas and expertise.
The current vacancy is for a temporary officer (maternity cover) to support the Adult Social Care section of Accounts Receivable. Adult Social Care provides a comprehensive care package to support Bracknell’s vulnerable younger and older adults. The Accounts Receivable Officer responsible for Adult Social Care receives many calls daily from vulnerable customers, and as such needs to remain calm and in control at all times, answering and owning all queries then following these up internally to ensure timely resolution and response.
You will need to negotiate a number of I.T. systems, liaise with several internal departments as well as attend weekly meetings with various social care teams to co-ordinate the debt management activity, agree and monitor repayment plans and monitor direct debits. The role involves not only maximising cash collection, but also providing a customer service function whilst working to agree, administer and monitor an affordable and sustainable solution of debt repayment where customers are struggling with their personal financial and other circumstances.
What it’s like working in our team…
Clearly the last few years have been a challenge for many of our customers both internally and externally, however through investment in IT and a flexible approach to working styles the finance function has coped admirably and taken the opportunity to adapt and improve processes. The Exchequer team has a broad range of skills and experience. With a well-established Financial System we like to think of ourselves as one team: delivering a high-class service but with the desire for continuous improvement to explore new ways of working.
We have found new ways of hybrid and remote working to ensure continued high levels of timely response to all of our customers.
You will be supported to carry out the following duties and responsibilities
- Receive all incoming calls from customers with queries regarding Adult Social Care
- To set up direct debits and payment plans in full with regard to Adult Social Care
- Update the Financial Management systems with Direct Debit instructions, Payment Plans, BACS instructions etc.
- Liaise with staff in the Care Teams, Accounts Receivable, Financial Assessments, Adult Social Care Finance, Accounts Payable and other departments on matters related to the collection of amounts due
- Follow debt management procedures to follow up on outstanding invoices.
- Follow process with regard to administering of debt relating to deceased matters
- Process customer payments made by telephone where required
- Assist with the Exchequer team at times of pressure, or as directed.
- Assist with incoming and outgoing mail and other general administration duties.
The benefits you will experience
- An inclusive and social working environment.
- Flexible working opportunities including a flexi-time scheme.
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Regular opportunities for development with internal and external training courses.
- A great office location next to travel links and the regenerated town centre.
- Internal sports and social club opportunities.
- Discounted leisure centre and gym membership.
- Supermarket discount.
- An interest free loan for a rail season ticket.
What we’re looking for…
A motivated, enthusiastic, well organised individual who has strong customer care values and a methodical approach to information gathering, recording and reporting – the role will require someone who can combine practical financial systems skills and a track history of achieving their goals – both in the work place and in their personal life.
Interviews will be held on 7th July 2023
Want to ask us a question?
For an informal discussion or to ask any questions about this role, please contact:
Debbie James, Team Manager; Debbie.James@bracknell-forest.gov.uk
As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to redeployment, please note that this vacancy may be withdrawn at any stage of the recruitment process if a suitable redeployee is identified.
We can only accept applications from candidates currently residing in the UK.
Any candidates that are currently residing in the UK and wishing to apply who would require sponsorship can determine the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for the role by assessing their circumstances against the relevant criteria.
No agencies please
Bracknell Forest Council – Working for Equality. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.