ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you passionate about protecting Cyber Security?
Do you want to make a real difference in the fight against cybercrime in local government?
Are you passionate about making a difference in your community?
If so, we want you to join our team!
We seek a highly motivated and experienced Cyber Security & Networks Manager to join our team. Stevenage Borough Council are a leading local authority in Cyber Security in the UK and pilot cyber security standards for The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC). This is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of Cyber Security in the public sector. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of cyber security principles and associated technology risk management. They will also have experience in managing and leading a team of IT professionals.
- Accountable for Cyber security, you will identify and ensure the security of the council’s IT Applications and Digital Solutions. You will lead in evaluating new and existing projects, software and hardware products, and vendors, including examining vendor contracts and terms of service. You will support teams across the council to develop their understanding of security cyber risks. You will manage a small team of two Senior Network and Security Engineers
- You will take the lead on cyber security and network for the Shared IT service, which supports over 1,000 users across Stevenage Borough Council and East Herts District Council and will put in place controls over security systems, such as firewalls, data protection controls, patching, encryption, vulnerability scanning and penetration testing.
- You will be responsible for achieving compliance with Cyber Essentials Plus, Cyber Assessment Framework (CAF) and Public Sector Network (PSN) and related government frameworks, including those of the National Cyber Security Centre, the Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
The successful candidate will have
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations while empathising with customers and responding sympathetically to circumstances.
- Extensive knowledge of all IT security aspects, including audit response, oversight, and scrutiny, ICO responses, Information Governance, Information Assurance, IT Asset Management policies, Quality Assurance, Test Strategies, PSN and PCI and other relevant compliance frameworks, Disaster recovery and Business continuity
- Extensive experience working as part of a multidiscipline ICT team in a complex organisation, ideally a local authority.
- Pension Scheme: We offer a career average pension scheme, providing generous benefits upon retirement, as well as a lump sum and pension for dependants
- Flexible working: available upon request, subject to operational requirements.
- Part time and Job share opportunism - all our full-time vacancies are open to job share unless otherwise stated.
- A variety of different types of paid and unpaid leave covering emergency and planned leave, maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- 25 days holiday rising to 31 days (depending on Local Government service)
- An extensive range of learning and development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme – 24/7 Confidential advice and support on personal, work, family, and relationship issues
- Season ticket loans and discounts for public transport
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Stevenage Credit Union: secure savings, free life insurance and access to cheap loans.
- Employee Discounts: via monthly paid membership of the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC)
- Discounted Health and Fitness membership
- Trade Unions: For a small fee, all employees have the opportunity to join a Trade Union.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be made on online - please visit https://bit.ly/3WG2BBf
For an informal discussion about this role please contact
Name Matt Canterford
Job Title Assistant Director and Chief Technology Officer
Phone Number 07706 349657
Interviews will be held the week commencing: 3 July 2023
Please note that if we receive a large volume of applications for this role, we reserve the right to close this vacancy ahead of the published closing date
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, volunteers and recruitment candidates to share this commitment. SBC shall take all reasonable steps to employ staff who are safe to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. For posts identified with regular contact with these groups applicants will be required to undertake a Value Based Interview. The council supports the legislative requirements for employing and maintaining safer staff and the guidance specified by Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board
Stevenage Borough Council is committed to Equal Opportunities for All. For further information please click https://www.stevenage.gov.uk/about-the-council/jobs-and-careers/equal-opportunities