Full time, fixed term until end of March 2024 with potential to extend to November 2024
Our small, dynamic, business focussed team is recruiting a Head of Operations on a fixed term contract basis.
Reading BID (Business Improvement District) helps to make Reading a safer, cleaner, greener, and more attractive place to live, visit and work and this role is central our success. We are looking for someone dedicated to improving Reading town centre for all who live, work and visit. You can find out more about our work here.
The Business Improvement District is in its final year of the current term ending in March 2024. We will be going through a ballot process starting January 2024 in hope that the Business Improvement District is successful in obtaining a further 5-year term.
This role will be initially contracted until 31st March 2024, and if successful at the ballot may be extended for a further 6-9 months to cover maternity leave.
Internal secondments will be considered.
About the role
This role is the first point of contact for BID levy paying businesses. You will build positive relationships with all types of town centre businesses, including retailers, hospitality, night time venues, and office based companies.
We’ll need you to liaise with the businesses, supporting with enquiries, and organise our timetable of ongoing initiatives and proposing new projects and events.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Day to day supervision of Business Wardens
- Check and update CRM system
- Engage with businesses regularly
- Meet and introduce new businesses to the BID services
- Provide regular newsletter updates to BID businesses
- Managing the sign up process of numerous BID initiatives
- Assist in the organising and running of events and seeking ideas for new experiences in the town
We’re looking for someone who knows, understands, and has a passion for Reading, has experience in improving their living or working environment, loves face to face customer relations, can build and maintain good working relationships within professional, commercial office and retail situations.
A person who can deliver a high quality of customer service and operational standards while maintaining a helpful and positive manner.
You will be confident in dealing with difficult situations and be able to communicate with high quality verbal and written skills. You will also be pro-active keen to explore new ideas and opportunities.
You must be able to be work from our office (located in centre of Reading) for the majority of the week (may be able to work from home once or twice a week dependent on specific work requirements)
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 25 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 33 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading
Local Government Pension Scheme(LGPS)
- Life Assurance - three times your annual salary (for members of the LGPS)
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted
- Season Ticket Loan - to help with the cost of your rail/ bus journey, to & from work
- Lease car salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to lease a brand new, greener car for three years. The monthly fee includes insurance, servicing and road tax
Closing Date: 8th October 2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 16th October
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.